Sunday, March 16, 2014

Physical Preparation

March 16th, 2014

I have been reading from various posts about how to prepare for hiking El Camino.

Many seemed to emphasize hiking long distances, and I suppose that makes sense in a way. But that strikes me as kind of repetitious.

I have decided on a whole-body approach. For the last months, my routine has been:

  • Monday evenings: 1 hour of movement yoga 
  • Tuesday lunch: weight training and stretching 
  • Wed morning or Wed evening: pilates or step aerobics 
  • Thursday lunch: weight training and stretching 
  • Friday: day off 
  • Saturday morning: pilates 
  • Sunday: hiking 5 - 7 miles 


I am hoping that by focusing on the entire body, I will correct for any weak areas that would become apparent on the day-after-day grind of hiking 15 miles (on average) per day over a 3 week period.

No comments:

Post a Comment