Thursday, April 10, 2014

Real de la Jara to Monasterio

Due to the condition of my feet, today is going to be painfully slow.

20 km or approx 12 miles.

...

By the time that I got to Monasterio, I had some feedback from stateside supporters.

Here is what Holly sent: "It's a quest and a spiritual journey. Keep your eyes open. It's about more than chalking up the miles. Maybe there's something you need to do or someone you are supposed to meet or something you are supposed to witness. What are you supposed to learn or experience on this day or in this moment?"

From Carol: "It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end."

At my first rest stop, I felt the urge/need to meditate and it seemed appropriate (on a pilgrimage) to recite the Our Father prayer. And since I had it in Spanish that was how I meditated for 10 minutes along a quiet dirt road with farm fields on both sides.

Later I found the most beautiful vista, and again I was able to just enjoy the spectacular scenery. So Holly's and Carol's words may have been quite apropos.

Unfortunately,  I had to visit the urgent care clinic here in Monasterio. The doctors said that it is heat related. Although I was ready for New York, my body was not ready for Spain.

The clinic in Real de la Jara was already closed by the time that I arrived there.  So I had to make the hike here. I did it but it was not enjoyable.  However the slow pace that I was obliged to follow opened up other possibilities.

I had the strong feeling that I would not continue tomorrow and that would mean letting go of some very interesting people that I had met over the past five days.

Mick: an irrepressible  Englishman with a great sense of wit and no end of amazing stories with which to regale you.

Dennis: a charming and generous Canadian who brought me many laughs and with whom I had a most fascinating lunch in Real de la Jara.

Paola: a gregarious Italian who did not speak Spanish but did understand it.  Yet somehow he communicated within our group of 4, bringing laughs,  smiles and warmth.

Ushi and Bruno: an open and interesting Swiss couple with whom I shared my first meal in Spain that warm summer evening in Galena. I went on to cross paths with them at least five more times as they biked the El Camino.

Chistine and Stefan: a welcoming Belgian couple whom I only met tonight over dinner. But we had a very interesting conversation about music like the Beatles,  the Monkees, Fldeetwood Mac and Tom Jones.

On the Road to Monasterio

5 comments:

  1. It's a quest and a spiritual journey. Keep your eyes open. It's about more than chalking up the miles. Maybe there's something you need to do or someone you are supposed to meet or something you are supposed to witness. What are you supposed to learn or experience on this day or in this moment? Oh the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take your time, rest if you have to, and enjoy the vista! "The point of the journey is not to arrive..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Larry, hang in there. My guess is the blisters occurred because you trained mostly in cold weather and your feet are sweating more now. Change your socks more frequently and stay dry. And of course, as others have said, take your time and enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete